Academic and research achievements:
Kayyunnapara Thomas Joseph did his BSc and MSc from Calicut University, Kerala. In 1980, he joined the IISc-TIFR programme for Applicable Mathematics. He went to Courant Institute of Mathematical Sciences , New York University in 1983 and completed his Ph.D under Professor Peter D.Lax in 1987. He joined TIFR Centre, Bangalore on return and was there till 1995. In 1995 he moved to the School of Mathematics TIFR Mumbai and became full Professor in 2004. He returned to TIFR CAM in August 2011 where he is currently Senior Professor (I).
Joseph taught graduate students in TIFR CAM and TIFR Mumbai. His research interest is in the area of Hyperbolic and Parabolic differential equations. The main areas he contributed are listed below.
* Scalar conservation laws and Hamilton Jacobi equations: Lax formula for solutions
of boundary value problems of convex conservation laws and Hamilton Jacobi equations.
* Hyperbolic systems of conservation laws: Study of hyperbolic systems with viscos-
ity and dispersive effects, analysis of boundary layers in approximate solutions of initial boundary value
problems for systems of conservation laws and study of non-conservative systems.
* Generalized Burgers equations: Construction and asymptotic analysis of solutions of
nonlinear parabolic equations usually called generalized Burgers equations.
* Compressible flow with spherical symmetry: Construction of spherically symmetric
solutions of the equation of compressible flow in the theory of explosions.
* δ- waves, adhesion model for large scale structures: Construction of solutions of
the adhesion model in large scale structure formation in the universe and their analysis, in
particular analysis of solutions of multi-dimensional pressure-less gas dynamics system.
Awards and distinctions : He was principal investigator for the Indo-French project 2601-2 on Mathematical topics in hyperbolic systems of conservation laws 2002-2006 and was an ICTP Senior Associate..
He is Fellow Indian Academy of Science, Bangalore since 2005.